3 cloves garlic, peeled, chopped and fried in 3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 bok choy, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 red onions, halved and sliced thinly
1 red capsicum cut into strips
2 carrots sliced in half and then chopped
2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
1kg fresh thick yellow egg (Hokkien) noodles or 4 cakes of instant noodles
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce
3 tbsp kecap manis
1 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tsp curry powder
Cucumber and tomato slices, to serve
Lemon or lime wedges, to serve
Sliced bird’s-eye chillies in soy sauce, to serve
1. Heat a wok over very high heat and add the oil, garlic and onions. Toss until onions have started to soften.
2. Add the capsicum and carrots and continue to stir until onions begin to brown.
3. While this is cooking, cook your noodles according to the package.
4. Add tomatoes and crack the eggs into the middle, whisking with a fork to keep them from sticking and also blend the yolks with the whites. (You can leave the egg out at this stage and just top the noodles with a fried egg.)
5. Add a little more oil if necessary and add the bok choy and noodles, soy sauce, oyster sauce, kecap manis, tomato sauce and curry powder, tossing in the wok for about 3 minutes until the noodles are coated and the bok choy is softened.