Carrot Applesauce Cake
2 cups unbleached flour(we have used spelt before with great results)
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 1/2tsp baking powder
1 1/2tsp baking soda
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp group cloves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup raisins, dried currants or sunflower seeds (optional)
3/4cup softened butter
1cup honey or maple syrup
1tsp pure vanilla extract
1 2/3cup unsweetened applesauce
3cups grated carrot
desiccated coconut or sesame seeds
1. Preheat oven to 175C.
2. Butter a bundt pan or a 22*33cm baking pan. Sprinkle the sesame seeds or coconut up the sides.
3. Seperate the egg whites from the egg yolks. Whisk the whites until they form stiff peaks.
4. Mix the egg yolks, butter, honey, applesauce, and vanilla until combined. Add the grated carrot.
5. In another bowl sift the flour, add with all the other dry ingredients.
6. Add wet to dry and stir until just incorporated. Fold in the egg whites. Pour batter into pan.
7. Bake for 60-75 minutes, until a toothpick that is stuck into the centre comes out clean.
8. When done, allow the cake to sit in the pan for at least 15 minutes.
You can frost with a cream cheese, orange juice, vanilla and orange zest frosting, serve with coconut yogurt or whip cream or just eat it as is!