Ingredients 2 kg of small globe artichokes 500 ml white wine vinegar 1 litre water 5 bay leaves 1-2 cloves 1 tbsp salt olive oil 6 cloves of garlic extra bay leaves, oregano, basil, whole peppercorns handful of white flour
1. Remove all darker outer leaves down till the leaves seem pale green and fell tender to the touch. Cut the stem and end of the leaves, exposing the soft tender heart.
2. In a bowl, place fresh water and a handful of flour. Put the trimmed artichokes in the bowl.
3. In a saucepan, bring to boil ½ litre of wine vinegar, 1 litre of water, 1-2 bay leaves, cloves and the salt. When the mixture comes to the boil, drop the artichokes in and leave them to boil for 2-5 minutes. Then, remove the artichokes, allow them to drain and cool overnight.
4. Next morning, place the artichokes in a jar and cover with good olive oil, and garlic, bay leaves, oregano. basil, and/or whole peppercorns. You can also flavour with a few leaves of mint, garlic or a hot red chilli cut into small pieces.
5. Leave in the oil for approximately 2 months before eating.
Source: Preserving the Italian Way – Pietro Demaio