1/2 packet pud thai rice noodles
Handful of beans
one small onion
2 tablespoons oil
½ cup peanuts, chopped
5 spring onions, chopped into 3cm pieces
½ cup chopped fresh herbs like cilantro and basil
3 tablespoons fish sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons chicken or vegetable broth
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon chili paste (sambal oelek)
1. Place the uncooked noodles in a bowl of cold water to soak.
2. Cut or spiralise the zucchini and onion into noodle-like shapes. Cut the carrots and beans into very small pieces.
3. Shake up the sauce ingredients in a jar.
4. Heat a tablespoon of oil over medium high heat. Add the veggies and stir fry for 2-3 minutes or until tender-crisp. Be careful not to overcook them. Transfer to a dish and set aside.
5. Drain the noodles - they should be softened by now.
6. Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add the noodles to the hot pan and stir fry for a minute. Add the sauce and stir fry for another minute or two, until the sauce is starting to thicken and stick to the noodles. Push the noodles aside to make a little room for the egg. Crack egg into the pan and scramble until mostly cooked. Mix noodles and egg. The egg mixture will stick to the noodles and everything will start getting sticky.
7. Add in the vegetables and spring onion and stir briefly. Remove from heat and stir in the peanuts and herbs.
Recipe: Kaycee Simuong - One of our Summer Interns